We are seeking a firmware engineer to develop new, cutting-edge IoT devices. The firmware engineer will be a key player in the overall product development process. We’re a distributed company with team members spanning the globe, but hardware development is being conducted in the Boston Metro-West area. This is a full-time position, with some limited travel. This is a contract-to-hire position. The start date is ASAP.
Finance & Grants Manager
Financial Accounting & Management
- Manage timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, tax obligations, payroll, inventory, receivables, and payables.
- Implement ongoing finance and accounting processes, including monthly financial close, equipment purchases and fixed assets inventory, accounts payable, reconciliations, and updates to the chart of accounts. Implement end-of-year accounting process, both for the business and for grant contracts.
- Review payment vouchers and month-end sub journals to ensure clarity of descriptions, exchange rate and correct coding of expenses.
- Prepare Journal Entries for grant allocations on a monthly basis. Make journal entries in QuickBooks (or other preferred accounting software) in an oversight capacity, as needed.
- Monitor advance accounts and accrual and suspense accounts, ensuring they are cleaned on a regular basis.
- Generate grant cash flow plans in coordination with the Assoc. Director of Grants Admin, & Compliance and the Associate Director of Corporate Finance/Strategy/Ops to ensure that sufficient cash is available for project implementation.
- Ensure that grant and company-specific audit queries are responded to in a timely manner and that audit recommendations arising from such audits are promptly implemented.
- Ensure compliance with Hala System’s procurement policies and procedures for all goods and services, as they pertain to financial management and financial operations.
- Plan and implement periodic visits to the field operational areas to review grant implementation and reporting processes and to gain assurance that all donor requirements are being complied with as appropriate.
- Hold responsibility for monitoring monthly costs using a budget monitor and grants database, tracking contract expenditures against budget and total obligated funds; includes performing invoice review and corrections to ensure accuracy and compliance with donor requirements.
- On a monthly basis, prepare internal Budget versus Actual reports, including brief commentary on matters identified.
- Manage re-forecasting of grant-specific expenses using level of effort (LOE) and recruitment updates, as well as subcontractor-related project needs and statements of work; ensure the accuracy of re-forecasts for the Hala company budget and contract-specific budgets.
- Review and determine causes for variances to the budget and prepare required notices to be sent to donors regarding status of funds.
- Coordinate and support budget realignments and regular budget reviews, when relevant.
- Liaise with Hala’s operations and technology teams to understand project needs. Support staff capacity building on utilization of a budget monitor tool and financial management best practices.
- Support internal audits and reviews, as required.
- Contribute to weekly, monthly, or project-specific reporting for different grants, as defined by contract documents and as needed by the Associate Director, Grants Admin & Compliance.
Lisbon Executive Administrator
- Serve as the main day-to-day point of contact between Hala Systems and our Portuguese law firm and other entities in Portugal, including government offices, utilities companies, etc. This includes regularly following up with local law firm regarding office setup, rules and regulations, employee work visas, etc.
- Support and coordinate Hala team members’ move to Lisbon from Portugal (other team members will be supporting as well, and this role involves coordination with both individuals moving to Lisbon and staff providing coordination support while still being based in Turkey, where Hala’s main office was previously based).
- Translate and interpret from English to Portuguese and Portuguese to English as needed (mainly informal day-to-day interpretation support)
- Assist team members in obtaining a NIF, opening a bank account in Lisbon, coordinating housing search, setting up utilities, etc.
- Handle all logistical and shipment coordination to Lisbon as needed.
- Serve as a buyer for a variety of purchasing transactions including materials, supplies, equipment, and services in Lisbon, for Hala’s program operations, office set-up and ongoing presence in Portugal. Includes identifying vendors and negotiating best vendor terms, pricing, and delivery based on specific budget and schedule requirements, in accordance to Hala compliance procedures.
- Research and identify coworking space for Hala Systems.
- Coordinate office activities and operations, ensuring maximum efficiency and compliance to local standards.
- Coordinate the schedule, appointments and bookings of Lisbon staff as it relates to visas, housing, and other relocation-related logistics etc.
- Maintain inventory of items purchased in Lisbon for Hala project operations and office presence.
- Other tasks as assigned.